Using a food dehydrator, you can make all types of dried goods from delicious snacking foods like beef jerky to tasty homemade trail mixes.
However, before you can make anything in your dehydrator, the most important thing to do is get the right one for your needs. With so many dehydrator models available, you may not know where to start so we thought it would be useful to create a list of our top ten best food dehydrator units available today.
We selected the ten dehydrator models based on feedback from other users, reviews, ratings, and features.
All dehydrators are not created equal; some are better suited to making jerky and other dried foods than others. After you’ve made your selection, you’ll need to follow the dehydrator instructions for drying your specific food type.
All of the dehydrators mentioned in this buying guide have been designed to eliminate the hassle of drying food and will save you time and money by doing the work for you.
|LEM Products 1152 Food Dehydrator||Best Overall|
|100 CC||Budget Pick|
|Tribest SDE-S6780-B Sedona Express||Upgrade Pick|
1. LEM Products 1152 Food Dehydrator
- You can effectively prepare food in bulk
- Comparatively inexpensive
- One of the best overall dehydrators
- Different trays take different lengths of time to dry
- Rotisserie attachment is not included
- Bottom-mounted fan makes it more susceptible to dripping
The food dehydrator from LEM Products is our best dehydrator on the market, as it has an innovative design that makes using it simple. This dehydrator has 5 trays, with each tray being 13 inches in diameter. It is more than enough room to prepare an entire batch of meat, fruits, and vegetables.
You can use the LEM Products 5-tray food dehydrator to dry anything from jerky, to fruits. It runs on 380 watts, but it is efficient on electricity. The unit is made of durable polycarbonate material, and it has a tempered glass door to make it easier to check on the food while it dries.
The food dehydrator has a removable tray design that is dishwasher safe. The door is weighted, so there is no need for a lock or additional magnets. Plus, the LEM Products food dehydrator is compact and lightweight, making it easy to move from one room to another. The unit is also backed by best quality warranty.
2. Excalibur 3926TB 9-Tray Electric Food Dehydrator
- Very durable
- Quickly dries food without scorching
- Versatile enough to be used for many things
- Super easy to use: you can basically set it and forget it, and you don't have to access the machine every couple of hours to rotate trays
- Radiation leakage is a non-issue with the Excalibur
- 25-year warranty
- It doesn't have a timer dial, only a "start" button (but you don't really need the timer function)
- The plastic trays are a bit flimsy and they can break over time
- It takes up a lot of counter space (this is a pro or con depending on how you see it)
- It makes a noticeable amount of noise
- It has a built-in heating element that can be hard to clean (but there is a simple way to avoid this)
The Excalibur ED-3900 is a quality food dehydrator that is easy to use and will reliably make great food for you and your family. It will pay for itself in the first year of use when you compare it to the cost of buying your food dried at the supermarket.
3. Presto 06301 Dehydro Digital Electric Food Dehydrator
- Wide and spacious internal design
- Very quiet operation
- LCD display shows dehydrator temperature and drying levels
- 3-year limited warranty on parts and labor
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Heating plate made of electric mesh
- Powerful 600-watt motor with variable temperature control
- BPA-free trays, plastic cover, and drip tray
- Useful fruit roll sheets are available
- Very expensive
- Recommend buying a different casing
- Unlimited drying space
This is a very popular dehydrator, and the warranty helps to reinforce this. Wouldn’t it be nice to have access to a dehydrator that is always repaired for free if something were to happen to it?
Manufacturers have great faith in their product, which is evident given the manufacturer warranty, and this provides you with some peace of mind.
As for construction, the dehydrator is made from a strong and durable plastic material. This will ensure it lasts you for a long time. It doesn’t take up a lot of room, which is great, and keeps up the functionality of the appliance.
4. Ivation 9 Tray Countertop Digital Food Dehydrator Drying Machine 600w
- Versatile design
- Comes with 9 trays for a full load
- Temperature range is between 95F to 160F
- 4 hours timer with automatic shut-off
- BPA-free and FDA approved
- Trays are non-stick and dishwasher safe
- Comes with a 2-year warranty.
- No pre-set temperature modes, so you have to manually adjust the temperature since each mode requires different temperatures.
- When running at maximum temperature, it can take a while to dry items.
The Ivation 9 Tray Countertop Digital Food Dehydrator Drying Machine is one of the best-selling dehydrators on the market today. While the drying stage can take several hours, it honestly is well worth it as the result is a tasty, moist treat that you can enjoy with friends or family.
Just start by prepping your dried food by washing and peeling your veggies, as well as cutting your fruit. Now place these items on the trays, use the timer in order to maximize the dehydration process, and let the machine go to work. The timer will automatically turn the machine off once the food has been dehydrated to your liking, and the temperature is adjustable in order to keep things at your preferred heat level.
5. Nesco Gardenmaster Food dehydrator
- It is very inexpensive
- It is perfect for drying vegetables and herbs
- It is very easy to use
- Drying time depends upon your product type
- On the smaller side
Dehydrating food has been one of the oldest way to preserve food for a long time. Nesco Gardenmaster is an electric food dehydrator accompanied with a large capacity but small footprint. The machine is sturdy enough thus it's portable.
The Gardenmaster food dehydrator, White comes with a drip-less tray and a temperature control knob. The machine is designed to provide you with vertical airflow. The things that you can dehydrate are fruits, vegetables, jerky, herbs and anything else.
The Gardenmaster Food Dehydrator is the perfect choice for a beginner or as a gift that they can use to make healthy snacks for their whole family.
6. Ivation 10 Tray Commercial Food Dehydrator Machine
- * Large capacity at 20 square feet
The Ivation dehydrator is a simple device with a specific set of features that make it a great fit for the average consumer. It has a capacity of twenty trays, and decent power that allows it to dry even the most stubborn pieces of fruit.
Most important, the Ivation comes with several pieces of kitchenware complete with instructions that guide users through the process of making delicious masterpieces from scratch. It also has the option to add a temperature and an adjustable timer.
Overall, this dehydrator is ideal for beginners and people who are just getting used to the whole process of drying food. The rectangular design of the Ivation is simple and easy to fit in most kitchens. It's also an affordable option for anyone just starting out.
7. Excalibur 3526TB 5-Tray Electric Food Dehydrator
- Easy to use
- Strong construction
- Works for both Fruits and Vegetables
- Works on all levels of skill
- The timer feature is great for those who don’t want to be in the kitchen watching over the machine
- Easy to clean
- Easy to store
- Reasonably priced
- Can be very loud
- The trays can come out a little bit uneven
- It can be challenging to remove the trays from the machine
The Excalibur brand of food dehydrators is loved by foodies across the globe. They have made a name for themselves by producing some of the best food dehydrators in the world. These food dehydrators are considered to be the Cadillac of the industry. They are made with a commercial grade metal and heat-resistant plastic, so this product is built to last. It also features a 5-pray design that is suitable for most home settings. The Excalibur food dehydrators are powerful enough to suit a large family, and they have a budget-friendly price tag.
8. 300cc Oxygen Absorbers in 10 Packs
- Can be used for herbs, spices, seeds, pet foods, dried flowers, jerky, and more
- No preservatives, additives, or chemicals
- 100% pure oxygen absorbers
- Full instructions with everything you need to know
- The food preservation guide walks you through it from start to finish
- Made in the USA
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Somewhat expensive for the number of individual packets, but they're reusable
- No fault of the absorbers, but some say you can't taste the difference
The food preservation guide from PackFreshUSA contains everything you need to start drying, dehydrating, and using oxygen absorbers to ramp up your food-storage game. The writer of the guide has been drying and preserving food for over 34 years and shares their tried-and-true methods with you in this informative guide.
If you're new to food preservation, you might be surprised by the number of steps required to dry and preserve food, from shopping to sealing and storing it. It takes planning, effort, money and a bit of time to get started with food preservation, but the rewards are vast. You'll easily save money on groceries each year, your family will be eating healthier, and you'll always have the food you need when emergencies arise.
9. Dry-Packs 1-Quart
- Certified to store food according to the USDA
- BPA free
- Transparent design for easy monitoring
- Hold up well under aggressive weather conditions
- Antimicrobial, non-gmo, BPA-free polyethylene plastic
- Single-use bags
- Available in various sizes (1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8 qt)
If you’re looking for a convenient way to store and preserve your organic fruits and veggies, then the Dry-Packs 1-Quart, 8"x8" Mylar bags are your new best friend. These bags are suitable for storing food products, dehydrated foods, teas, herbs, grains, chocolates, and more.
They’re moisture-repellent, odor, and light-resistant so that your food stays sealed and fresh. The bags can be used in temperature range from -40F to 275F.
10. 5 Gram Pack of 50 "Dry & Dry" Premium Pure & Safe Silica Gel Packets Desiccant Dehumidifiers
- Quite simple to operate (save for a few intricate features)
- It’s much better than the traditional food dehydrators
- Needs a lot of time when set at the drying default settings
- Some appliances are quite loud
- Not everyone favors the use of silica gel packets
Beads in BPA-FREE Stainless Steel Container – Keep Your MRE's, Dry Foods, Herbs, Spices, Coffee, Cigarettes, and More Fresh for Years!!
We’ll admit that we were a bit dubious about this one when we first learned about it, but all of our fears have been eliminated. There have been countless reviews claiming that this is a kitchen and household item that cannot be missed.
The dry and dry brand of silica gel packets does a spectacular job of dehydrating different products – especially food. Because of the complete lack of electricity, this product will never overheat or require you to worry about a product malfunction.
11. 100 CC
- Good value
- Oxygen absorbers work effectively
- Comes with convenient storage bag
- Doesn’t last long enough for large long-term storage
- There’s an occasional aftertaste to foods
If you’re looking for a great value, speedy way to preserve your perishable foods, look no further. These oxygen absorbers provide great insurance against food expirations thanks to the versatility they offer. They’re suitable for virtually any food products – from chicken bones to vegetables, dry fruits, meats, even pet food. They’re great for dehydrating fruits and vegetables, preserving grains and seeds, and for in-depth food preservation.
You may think that these don’t really work, but the moment you try them, you’ll realize that there’s actually a big difference from food that has been stored in an airtight container, and food that has been stored with an oxygen absorber.
12. PackFreshUSA Gallon Genuine Mylar Bags 10” x 14”
- Durable and made to last
- Reusable and recyclable
- Sold in sets of 10 with food storage guide
- Ideal for drying foods
If you're in the market for the best food dehydrator or just want to make sure your food storage lasts for a very long time, then you're going to need Mylar bags for food storage.
These heavy duty bags are made from thick low-density polyethylene and are an excellent choice for long-term food storage. What’s even better is the Set from Packfreshusa also comes with a guide to food storage, a 1 year guarantee, and are made in the USA.
Best of all, there are no reported issues with leaking and they are recyclable. This is a fantastic product for those of you who are looking for quality food storage.
13. Tribest SDE-S6780-B Sedona Express
- Large 5.6 ‘ digital display
- Powerful 1800 watt motor
- Temperature control from 85 to 160 deg F (29 to 71 deg C) with 45 degree increments
- Variable thermostat for even drying
- 5-year full warranty
- Manual is a bit difficult to understand at first
- Price is higher than similarly featured product
TheSDE_S6780_Bby Tribest Sedona Express Digital Food Dehydrator with Stainless Steel Trays is a high-end countertop food dehydrator packed with a variety of features. It features a powerful 1800 watt motor, with a temperature range from 85 to 160 degrees Fahrenheit and a thermostat with 45 increments of temperature.
The SDE-S6780-B features a large 5.6-inch digital display that displays temperature and drying times, a handy feature when storing food in dehydrated form. Since this model features a digital display, it is useful for allowing one to visually monitor the progress of the dehydration process.
The Tribest Sedona Express Digital Food Dehydrator comes with a full 10-year warranty and includes 4 adjustable stainless steel drying trays with included screens.
14. L'EQUIP FilterPro 6 Tray Food Dehydrator
- Affordable price
- Easy to clean
- Improved air circulation system
- 4 digital trays located at each end of machine, which can be adjusted according to the foods size
- Ability to stack up to 6 trays vertically
- 30-hour timer system
- 6 trays for drying different foods simultaneously
- Extended height to accommodate all types of food from fruits, vegetables, meats, and herbs
- Includes a mesh screen to keep your food from falling through
- Digital thermometer to monitor the temperature within the machine
- Poor quality temperature control
- Plastic parts are fragile
- Digital system is unreliable
- Digital display is hard to read
- The temperature control is unreliable
15. Set of 3
- Food dehydrates quickly
- Reusable, flexible, and durable
- Lifetime warranty
- Tray design is not versatile enough for some uses
- Trays are hard to clean
Our third choice is the Excalibur ParaFlexx Ultra Silicone Re-usable Non-stick Dehydrator Sheets. These heat resistant sheets allow you to dehydrate all of your favorite fruits, vegetables, herbs, and jerky. They are re-usable and easy to clean and store.
The kit contains three sheets that measure 14 x 14 inches and can be used on horizontal and vertical dehydrators. The sheets are FDA approved and BPA-free. The silicone sheets are flexible and can be used directly on the dehydrating sheets to reduce your prep time.
The sheets are heat resistant up to 480 degrees so you don’t have to worry about overheating or burning them while dehydrating your meals. They are food-grade silicone so they can be used over and over again.
16. Cuisinart DHR-20 Food Dehydrator
- Available at an affordable price point
- Adjustable thermostat
- Large enough to hold a lot of fruits or vegetables
- Tall enough to accommodate large containers
- Certified safe
- Not ideal if you’re planning to use it in a commercial operation
- With time, the plastic trays will lose their effectiveness for food storage
Fruits, vegetables, and meat are all prime for drying for your own storage purposes. Dehydrating your food, after you’ve added flavor, will help to keep them in a temperature controlled environment away from bacteria. This is perfect for long term storage that will help to preserve the quality of your harvest for up to a year.
This model by Cuisinart is easy to use and will save you a lot of money on your next shopping trip. It can also provide you with that perfect snack without having to buy it at the store.
Bottom line: There are endless benefits of a food dehydrator around the house. It is possible to recycle some of your food and use it in a different way. You can also make money by selling off extra produce in season. It all comes down to how well it works for your needs before purchasing one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What dehydrator does Bon Appetit use?
It’s the Santa Fe Dehydrating Unit.
What is the best food dehydrator on the market?
There is no one answer for this question, be because different dehydrator models cater to different needs. Products from well-known brands such as Excalibur, and Presto have great operator manuals that outline recommended drying times for using different levels of heating and dehydrator trays.
However, if you want to truly know how to pick out a good food dehydrator, I highly suggest you try out a few models and see how they work. It’s very important to consider how the machine is powered and where to place it, also how well the trays work and whether liquid can leak onto your counter top.
It’s also essential to learn how to properly clean a food dehydrator and how to troubleshoot problems, especially if you plan on putting the dehydrator to regular use. If you need to do a lot of dehydrating, look for models with the least amount of parts.
What should I look for when buying a food dehydrator?
There are two main types of dehydrator models: a conventional food dehydrator with heating element and a cross flow model without a heating element. Heat is the only means of dehydrating in the conventional model, while the cross flow model uses a combination of heat and air circulation for drying. This new type of dehydrator is more economically and energy efficient and allows for a larger variety of food preservation techniques.
The following are additional consideration when buying a food dehydrator:
Is it worth buying a food dehydrator?
A food dehydrator will pay for itself in a very short time because it will create the opportunity for you to purchase your foods in bulk and then dehydrate them for long-term storage. During harvest time, this allows you to use the energy that would have been used cooking and dry and preserve the remaining energy for other activities.
Consider the following:
- Energy efficiency
- Time spent in the kitchen
- Long-term food preservation
- Funding opportunities for future business expansion
If you’re just starting out, it’s worth selecting a simple manual food dehydrator as it will pay for itself quickly and it can make a nice side income to your existing business. If you are ready to invest and expand, you should purchase an electric food dehydrator because it’s more efficient.
If you are about to purchase your first dehydrator or you already own one, we hope you will find the advice and tips on this page helpful. It can be a tricky thing to get an accurate model recommendation, partially because it’s never a great idea to just look at a single piece of information when making such an important purchase.
The initial condition of the machine, the current price, even the most recent review are all a factor. But we are confident that if you look now, you can find a helpful review from our sources for the best models on the market, including detailed charts ranking them on a number of different factors.
|LEM Products 1152 Food Dehydrator||Best Overall|
|100 CC||Budget Pick|
|Tribest SDE-S6780-B Sedona Express||Upgrade Pick|