Gardeners are really special people. They’re selfless, hardworking, full of love, and sometimes a bit haphazard. But, they’re also happy, confident and laid-back.
In honor of all the gardeners out there with a special occasion coming up, we’ve put together this list of the best gifts for gardeners.
|Wilcox All Pro 202S Trowel||Best Overall|
|Senkichi Nejiri Gama Hoe||Budget Pick|
|Worm Factory 360 Black||Upgrade Pick|
1. Wilcox All Pro 202S Trowel
- Ergonomic shovel handle
- Lightweight but sturdy construction
- Flat and curved blade
- 3-inch blade
- Polymer riveted handle
- Grip could be better
- Blade is a bit thin
- Control could be better
The Wilcox All Pro 202S Trowel is a 14-inch stainless steel option for homeowners. It has a 3-inch extra-strong blade made of stainless steel. The shovel features an ergonomic handle with a polymer handle design to provide a sturdy, comfortable grip.
Users find it has the right balance of strength and control. The shovel blade is curved and flat and there is design to make digging easier.
The Wilcox All Pro 202S is light enough to carry around but the steel is strong enough to handle regular digging without bending. It is the perfect tool for gardeners looking for a simple all-around shovel for general digging.
2. AeroGarden Classic 6 Elite
- It's very easy to use
- The compact design means it can go just about anywhere
- Makes gardening accessible for people who live in places where they can't plant a garden
- 3 different settings for sowing, growing, and harvesting
- Less dependency on weather conditions
- Not good for bigger spaces
- Sometimes it can get too crowded to even sow seeds
- Everybody can't use it
Indoor gardening has never been so easy with the AeroGarden Classic 6 Elite. Next to the AeroGarden Bounty, this is the most popular AeroGarden model. It's not hard to see why ‗ it's comprised of a sleek design, has a compact size, and provides you with a number of sowing and growing options.
This indoor garden comes in a retro and stylish stainless steel design. It measures 9 x 9 x 13.4 inches and weighs just 16 pounds. This means you can put it almost anywhere indoors – even the smallest of spaces will do.
You can grow most herbs and vegetables in this garden. It’s definitely meant for growing vegetables that aren’t demanding.
3. Senkichi Nejiri Gama Hoe
- Compact foldable handle design
- Sharp and strong blade
- Rubber handle for sure grip
- High carbon steel blade for durability
- Easy to transport and store when not in use
- Virtually indestructible
- Ideal for gardeners and homeowners
- Blade rusts and corrodes easily
- Sharp edges are not rounded off, so use gloves when handling
- Very heavy at 2.5lbs
The Senkichi Nejiri Gama Hoe makes an excellent gift for a gardener to help with cultivation tasks. It is ideally suited for farm work and for soil preparation.
It has a compact foldable handle design which makes it easy to transport and store when not in use. The blade is sharp and strong, made from high carbon steel for durability. It is easy to assemble and disassemble when folding.
Priced an absolute bargain, it comes with a lifetime guarantee, so you can be confident that you'll have this tool for many years.
4. Hydrofarm Agrobrite FLT24 T5 Fluorescent
The Agrobrite FLT24 T5 Fluorescent, 2 Foot, 4 Tube Grow Light System from Hydrofarm is a high quality system with fantastic features that make it a great option for anyone looking to grow a variety of plants and vegetables. First and foremost, the brand is well-established and is one of the most widely trusted and used in this industry.
These full spectrum lighting systems are great for plants that require a lot of light, such as fruits, vegetables, flowers, and more. These systems are reliable, efficient, and easy to set up. Plus, they're expandable so you can connect multiple units together. This Hydrofarm unit features four tubes which provide the optimal amount of lighting, similar to the outputs of a 1500 watt system. These systems are ideal for commercial growers.
It has a high output system that is also completely enclosed to prevent overheating or emission of unpleasant odors. The T5 Lighting system is bright, durable and reliable and its two year warranty will keep it that way.
5. Worm Factory 360 Black
- Provides a low-maintenance, sealed, and odor-free habitat for redworms
- Solid Canvas Construction
- Sturdy Lid and Handles make it easy to move around
- The included oxygenation system helps keep the compost aerated
The Worm Factory 360 Black Flag is an excellent worm composting bin that is very easy to use. It features a double-wall construction and a plastic door that seals well. It also includes a handle and wheels that make it much easier to wheel around.
The unit has a sealed ventilation system that allows for oxygenation and continuous circulation of moisture. It prevents the compost from overheating. This helps to control the composting process, and keep it odor-free. It can be used by all skill levels and doesn’t require any maintenance. You can start using it within 10 minutes of assembly.
6. Back to the Roots Water Garden
- Can grow fish and plants in one tank
- Ideal for indoor gardens
- Extremely easy to maintain – you'll only need to refill the water and feed the fish once in a while
- Does not require sunlight or soil
- Herb seeds can also be grown in this tank
- Durable and sturdy
- Comes in 3 sizes: 5 inches, 14 inches, and 19 inches
- Instructions for construction were a bit unclear
- Takes up a decent amount of space
- Does not hold much water
- Takes a while to start growing
- Cannot be used outside
This innovative water garden is a fun gift if you have an indoor garden. You can grow fish and plants in the same ecosystem. It is the first self-cleaning fish tank that grows plants. So, there's no need to worry about watching over the water or fertilizing it too.
Moreover, this mini aquaponics system will not require sunlight or soil. Herb seeds can also be grown in this tank! It does not need to be installed either. So, you can easily move it around and place it wherever you please in your home.
7. EDUCATIONAL INSIGHTS Sprout & Grow Window
- Great value for money
- Educational and fun for kids
- Bottom tray can be used to water plants or hold indoor plants
- Durable and comes with a clear cover
- Ensure proper sunlight exposure and ventilation
- The water tube tends to leak
- The seeds may not grow properly
- Seeds do not germinate all the time
The Educational Insights Sprout & Grow Window Farm is a fun indoor greenhouse. It comes with simple window design, and a clear cover that lets in plenty of sunlight it also consists of a water tray at the bottom to give your plants the optimum amount of wetness to grow. You can grow various types of seeds in the tray, such as radishes, lettuce, or herbs.
It offers 20 clear pegs to hold your seeds, and an additional 40 colored pegs to hold an assortment of flowers, herbs, or veggies. It includes optional Soil Moisture Meter which indicates when to add water and a handy Grow Guide for tips on optimum light exposure and ventilation.
The entire unit is lightweight and durable since it is made from flexible plastic. It’s also easy to clean and maintain. The kit comes with an instructional guide to help you get the best growth possible from your plants. It’s a great gift for kids and adults alike.
8. Back to the Roots Organic Mushroom Growing Kit
- Outstanding customer service
- Premium large grain organic brown rice that's GMO-free
- Packaged really well
- Grow up to 100lb of mushrooms
- Excellent gift for foodies
- Mushroom growers are finicky especially for beginners.
- Requires some patience for the results to grow.
- The time frame for the mushrooms to grow could take 10-14 days.
This mushroom growing kit comes with a 2.5 lb bag of premium organic brown rice, rye grass seed, and mushroom spores. The company ships to most countries worldwide.
Experts say that the nutritional quality of mushrooms is closer to vegetables than to other forms of meat. They are rich in minerals which are very good to the body. Some folks say that if you're a vegetarian, you can thrive on these mushrooms. Mushrooms are even considered as one of the healthiest foods around. They are high in fiber and antioxidants because of all the different types of fruits and vegetables they're comprised of.
Adding mushrooms into your diet can help with your immune system, heart health, and even in weight loss. Have you tried adding mushrooms into your diet? If not, why not?
9. TickleMe Plant Greenhouse Garden Kit
- This is a fantastic children´s educational toy
- Kit comes with fun activity card
- Made from 60% recycled material
- It has a strong mechanism for continued use
- Works well for beginners
- Plant grows down when pinched
- This is not for larger plants or vegetables
- It is fragile and needs to be taken care of
- Some plants do not grow correctly
- No directions provided
- Assembly instructions were missing several steps
The TickleMe Plant looks more like a modern art work than anything else, but it serves as a great gift idea and also teaches kids about different types of plants as they mature. This plant works with a peristaltic circulation mechanism that involves a pumping action that occurs within the plant that sends water up from the roots to the leaves. This gives the plant a lifelike appearance as leaves open and close depending on how you "tickle" it.
The plant itself is very delicate though and needs to be taken care of on a regular basis in order for it to survive. It takes up to six months to grow, and once fully grown it looks spectacular year round as it can be displayed in living rooms or recreational areas.
10. Our Finest Seed Bomb Matrix
- Includes a complete step-by-step instruction manual on how to make seed bombs
- Includes two ball-rolling mats
- One-time use
- Hard to find maximum seed count
- Comes with a complete satisfaction guarantee
- The instructions are incomplete
- The wire is too small and difficult to use
- The mesh isn’t fine enough
There’s a reason why we featured Our Finest Seed Bomb Matrix on the first page of this article. For one, it’s been one of our top-rated items ever since we’ve created this website back in 2016.
This is also the very first product we’ve featured on the front page of our website and it’s not hard to see why. So, we want to give a big shout out to RMKDesign for creating this awesome product. It’s really one of the best seed bomb kits on the market today … It’s definitely the best seed bombs we’ve ever made.
11. ARS HP-VS8Z Signature Heavy Duty Pruner
- Premium carbon steel material
- Premium coated stainless steel
- Precision made
- Ultra-sharp cutting edge
- Only available on Amazon
- Not for left-handed use
The ARS HP VS8Z are some of the best quality pruning shears on the market. They are used by professionals and serious gardeners. Made from premium stainless steel, they are ultra-sharp and long-lasting.
The shears are eight inches in length and are available with a coated cutting edge. They are made from Japanese steel, with precision grinding. The blade is made from a carbon steel with HRC hardness of 59-61 in order to resist corrosion and rusting.
The handle is made from a comfortable synthetic material which is ergonomic. It has ridges that allow you to hold the shears more comfortably. The steel grip stays nice and cool while you are pruning, and will not slip.
12. Aquaponic Gardening: A Step-by-Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together
- Features a 14 day step-by-step guide
- Over 180 full-color pictures
- Designer-friendly instructions
- Targets both novice and seasoned gardeners
- Can be used in fish tanks, aquariums, and backyard gardening
- Easy to read and understand
- Author Harold van Es is an award-winning author and an expert on aquaponics
- Available in paperback and audiobook editions
- Limited to gardening and not fish-keeping
- Not enough illustrations and examples
The Aquaponic Gardening: A Step-by-Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together by Harold van Es is the best guide for people looking to start aquaponic gardening. If you’re interested in learning more about aquaponics, this is the book to start with.
This is a comprehensive guide to setting up an aquaponic system for everyone from professionals to beginners. The book is compiled of over 180 full-color images and detailed instructions on how to build a successful aquaponics system.
13. Hydroponic Food Production: A Definitive Guidebook
- New updated 7th edition
- Suitable for both the commercial and home gardener
- Comprehensive guide for hydroponic food production
- Short reads of less than an hour
This book is the perfect gift for the home gardener with some experience and the advanced hobbyist looking to start a hydroponic endeavor.
If you're looking for simplicity in growing hydroponically, this book serves as a great starting point for you.
The hydroponics handbook gives you the step-by-step information on how to grow food hydroponically in your garden. It contains information on hydroponics, organic gardening, composting, and vermicomposting.
14. Click & Grow Indoor Smart Herb Garden
- Grow herbs indoors
- Provides digital notifications
- Health Guide on app
- Seeds contain mycorrhizal fungi
- Healthy & green
- Easy to maintain
- Connects to WiFi with LED light & remote
- Expected to survive up to 8 months
- Great to save your money!!
- Best quality & authentic
What is Click & Grow Smart Herb Garden? Click & Grow Smart Herb Garden is an all-in-one herb-planting kit. You only need to place the seeds in the soil, plug in the Click & Grow smart garden, and its automated app will do the rest!
Click & Grow only requires water, and the plants grow independently in a completely natural way. Also, it only takes about 10 minutes to have your herb garden set up and ready to start growing.
It includes basil seeds, three Click & Grow cartridges, and an app that’s available on both iOS and Android. The seeds are sealed in mycorrhizal packaging with no need for a greenhouse. They are our good friends of healthy soil, which will help your plants grow up to 20% faster and yield twice as many greens!
15. How-To Hydroponics
- Cost-effective book
- Covers hydroponics and aquaponics
- Very easy to understand, and step-by-step instructions
- Includes practical advice on growing plants indoors
- Ideal for beginner gardeners
- Not recommended for advanced gardeners
- Fewer pictures, no color
The Indoor/Outdoor Garden Book
The How-To Hydroponics, Fourth Edition: The Indoor/Outdoor Garden book is an updated version of How To Hydroponics, Third Edition: The Indoor/Outdoor Garden Book. It covers all aspects of hydroponic gardening and aquaponics. The author is Eric Mars, an experienced aquaponics expert and lecturer.
The How-To Hydroponics book helps you learn about growing plants without the use of soil and with the intelligent use of water instead. It gives advice on growing in both indoor and outdoor settings. This book is small, making it easy to carry around while on the go or just simply outdoors. Plus, it has a pull-out chart with all the data you could possibly need for various plants.
16. Hobby Hydroponics
- Easy-to-use guide overall
- Detail of tips and tricks from experts in the industry
- The author gives you an honest, no-nonsense approach
- The book is broken down into several different sections
- All parts of plant-growing covered
- You can read the entire guide or just specific sections depending on your interest
- Doesn’t teach you how to grow from scratch (you still have to buy/grow the plants first)
- Requires some gardening experience to follow the book properly
The Ultimate Guide to the Growing of Indoor Plants
This book, written by Terry & Sylvia Holmes, is the perfect guide for any gardener, whether they’re a beginner or an expert. Hobby Hydroponics covers every aspect of growing indoor plants, including which plants grow best with the methods described.
The books is broken down into several different sections, including watering and fertilizing, climate and light, tools and materials, and various plant care guides.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What's a good gift for a gardener?
Most likely, the ideal gift for a gardener will differ from one whose experience and confidence level differ. So here’s a short list of some good starting points for the rookie.
What do you give a gardener for Christmas?
In general, gardening gifts don’t have to be expensive. To start with, you can personalize some thoughtful gifts that are not expensive per se, but make a big impact. Here are some wonderful options that I love. I’ll add to this list as I think of more. If you have options that you’d like added, shoot me an email.
Which is the best plant to gift?
While choosing a plant as a gift, consider whether it’s for yourself or someone else. For yourself, you would probably go for something that is more expensive and more exotic. This is where choosing from among the top plant choices makes sense because they’re all high-end and expensive. Be sure to select a plant that will continue to grow and thrive in the environment that your friend or family member’s garden setup provides.
Choosing the best gifts for gardeners, that aren't some tacky garden gnome or a trowel shaped cheese cutter, requires some research and thought. We all know and love our gardeners and want to make sure that they have a new and useful gift that they will enjoy. But if you don't have much time and want to make sure that your gift is well received, we have you covered. Here are some of the best gifts for gardeners you can give.
|Wilcox All Pro 202S Trowel||Best Overall|
|Senkichi Nejiri Gama Hoe||Budget Pick|
|Worm Factory 360 Black||Upgrade Pick|