Looking for the best lawn sprinkler? They come in many forms: oscillating, rotating, spraying, travel, rotary, water cannon, utility, impact, and popup versions are available as well.
Selecting the best lawn sprinkler for your specific requirements can be a lot of work. There are many different styles to choose from, each with advantages and some disadvantages. In order to make the shopping process easier, we have outlined the types of lawn sprinklers available for your consideration.
All in all, remember that the best lawn sprinkler for your lawn is the one that maximizes coverage with the least amount of water.
|Orbit 58308Z Brass Impact Sprinkler on Tripod Base||Best Overall|
|Nelson Eight-Pattern Spray Head Stationary Sprinkler Metal Base||Budget Pick|
|Rain Bird 32ETI Easy to Install In-Ground Automatic Sprinkler System Kit||Upgrade Pick|
1. Orbit 58308Z Brass Impact Sprinkler on Tripod Base
- Large area coverage
- Sprays up to 90 feet in diameter, covering 6,360 square feet when set to a full circle
- Heavy-duty Brass
- Easily adjust spray coverage from a partial section to full 360° watering
- Customizable settings
- Use the deflector shield and diffuser screw to alter the stream and change the spray distance radius
- Stable tripod base
- Metal, weighted tripod resists tipping
- Tripod extends up to 48 inches to allow for adjustments as plants grow
- Anti-backsplash arm
- Flow-through design, resistant to clogs and ideal for secondary water
- The gooseneck connection makes it easy to connect to your hose
- Adjustable watering for ultimate flexibility
- Innovative design
- Easy to install and maintain
- Works effectively in various weather conditions
- Branded as commercial but fall way short.
- The plastic is clearly not UV rated and brittle
- The plastic that holds the legs in place snaps
- It is not actually designed to be used outdoors / direct sun
Orbit's popular brass impact sprinkler on tripod base is perfect for large lawns and growing gardens. It towers over tall plants and features a brass impact head that’s capable of spraying distances up to 90 feet.
Orbit 58308Z Brass Impact Sprinkler’s brass construction can withstand high water pressures and severe weather conditions without the worry of breaking, rusting, or failing. The anti-backsplash arm improves the sprinkler’s ability to spray water in a consistent pattern and in the desired direction.
It's important to have a sprinkler that can fit the changing needs of your plants that are constantly growing. Totally adjustable, this sprinkler can meet those needs. Set the distance and the arc radius from 0-360 degrees. Coverage is fantastic for everything near and far.
2. Rain Bird 32ETI Easy to Install In-Ground Automatic Sprinkler System Kit
- Waters your lawn automatically the whole season
- Eliminates the constant hassle of moving garden hoses and making sprinkler adjustments
- Attaches to an outside faucet and installs in one afternoon
- Sprinklers retract into the ground for a clean uncluttered appearance and easy mowing
- Covers medium size lawn areas from 1000 to 3000 sq. ft
- Operates at normal average residential water pressures of 45 to 75 psi and 6 to 12 gallons per minute flow rate
- Professional grade hose-end timer and dependable 32SA gear drive rotors
- To ensure proper system operation watered area must be less than 6' above water source/hose bib
- Use a specialized trenching shovel to dig the 1/2" tubing trenches
- Considerably less expensive than a professionally installed system
- Provides precise, even coverage along with true automatic watering convenience
- Don’t expand the system
- Adding extra tubing or rotors can negatively impact performance and reduce spray distance
- Rotors won't pop up or rotate
- Poor quality timer
- A lot more work than expected
Rain Bird 32ETI In-Ground Sprinkler System Kit is a fully automatic, in-ground sprinkler system for watering your lawn. You can spend your weekends enjoying your yard instead of constantly moving hose and sprinklers.
This high-quality Rain Bird system is designed for easy do-it-yourself installation and will help you maintain a beautiful, green lawn season after season. If you’re tired of brown spots in your yard and getting uneven results with manual watering, this new automatic system is the perfect solution.
Each kit includes everything needed to water a small-medium lawn area up to 3000 sq ft.
3. Gardena ZoomMaxx Sprinkler on Sled Base
- Compact oscillating sprinkler for the smallest areas
- Fully adjustable controls for width, length, and water flow – area coverage of 76 sq ft – 2300 sq ft
- Precise, even watering of lawns, beds, and hedges
- Quiet and easy-to-handle sprinklers for small to large areas in the garden
- With multiple settings
- The hose can be too short
- Not reliable
- Although the warranty seems very good, it is really worthless because the company is non-responsive
GARDENA ZoomMaxX Oscillating Sprinkler on Weighted Sled Base. Compact oscillating sprinkler for the smallest areas. Fully adjustable controls for width, length, and water flow – area coverage of 76 sq ft – 2300 sq ft.
16 flexible rubber nozzles for even water distribution. Sealed turbo gear-driven unit with a large Sled base for stability. Integrated mechanical timer included that can be set from 1 min to 120 minutes.
Getting the unit connected to your garden hose won’t be a problem as it comes with a quick adaptor. It also features robust stainless steel screws, a convenient water protection cover, and a four-year warranty.
4. Nelson Traveling Sprinkler RainTrain
- Cast-iron body with chip resistant, powder-coat paint
- Coverage up to 13,500 square feet
- Travels up to 200 feet
- Adjustable aluminum spray arms provide coverage range from 15 feet to 55 feet in diameter
- Automatic shut-off
- Good choice if you need a portable sprinkler
- Easy to connect
- Traveling sprinkler puts out a 360-degree spray
- Large wheels roll well over rough terrain
- A tad expensive for a portable sprinkler
- Might be a tad flimsy when extended
- Options for manual or automatic operation
The original traveling sprinkler, the Nelson Rain Train uses the power of water to navigate around the lawn following a customized hose path. This traveling sprinkler covers 13,500 sq. ft. as it travels 200 ft. at three different speeds for varying saturation. The heavy-duty cast iron body with chip-resistant powder coat paint is built to last.
When you’ve got an exceptionally large, open area to water, the fastest, easiest way to cover it is with a Rain Train traveling sprinkler. Both models travel up to 200 feet and cover as much as 13,500 square feet. Set them in place at your desired starting point, turn them on, and walk away.
A choice of three speeds lets you adjust the level of saturation to your lawn’s needs and automatic shutoff prevents water waste. Manufacturer’s limited 2-year warranty included.
5. Melnor XT Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
- Large volume tube, Maximum pressure (PSI):100
- 18 Precision rubber nozzles with the clog-resistant design even at high pressures
- Clog resistant design and built-in flow control
- Turbo-drive motor for extra long life
- Patented one-touch width adjustable
- 3-Way adjustments give you the control to water exactly where you want
- 20 Precision nozzles cover up to 4,200 square feet
- Easy to use tabs control the range of the watering pattern for precision watering
- TwinTouch adjusters control the width so you can water a narrow area or a large lawn.
- Zoom control adjusts the overall watering area
- Zoom in for a small patch of newly seeded lawn or all the way out to cover a large section of the yard or flower bed
- Sprinkler head limits the height of up to 7ft.
- Sprinkler head needs to be placed close to the end of your garden
- Instructions could be better
- Sprinkler needs to be installed in a mild weather setting
The Melnor XT Turbo sprinkler is a rotating and oscillating sprinkler. It can be used in a variety of different weather conditions, so you can enjoy it year-round. These sprinklers can cover up to 4500 square feet of your lawn or garden.
The sprinkler is made from high-quality plastic as well as metal. This