As the nights grow longer and the first frosts of winter arrive, one thing we all enjoy during the long, dark evenings is the ability to bring light into your home without having to flick a switch.
Nothing is worse than enjoying a night around the heater and stepping out to fetch something to eat, only to be greeted by a dark home. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world. So, it’s time to set up your own outdoor lighting to stop that dread from setting in.
There are literally thousands of indoor and outdoor solar lights on the market today, which is overwhelming, to say the least. To help you choose the best solar-powered lighting for your yard, we’ve analyzed the more than 100 manufacturers we were able to dig up and compared over 300 models to come up with our list of 12 Best Outdoor Solar Lights.
If you have an outdoor garden area or a brick-lined driveway, you will want to check out these 12 best solar path lights. If you have a large yard, we have found several solar flood lights to light your grass at night. You can even make a space in your garden a little more magical with a solar garden light.
|Brightech Ambience Pro||Best Overall|
|LITOM Original Solar Lights Outdoor||Budget Pick|
|Solar Brick Landscape Path Light||Upgrade Pick|
1. Brightech Ambience Pro
- They last a long time
- You can use them during power outages
- They’re easy to install
- They look fantastic; they add a cozy vibe and create beautiful light
- Well-built and sturdy
- Not suitable for holidays
- The batteries need to be charged for a long time
- Not the best in heavy rain
- Requires a sunny spot
If you’re looking for outdoor solar lights that look fantastic, Brightech has a great option for you. The Brightech Ambience Pro LED string lights would look great in your backyard, around your patio, or any outdoor space.
This outdoor lighting system includes 50 LED bulbs which shine in a soft white light. This means that they can simulate candlelight or give you that vintage style.
The solar panel is rated to provide great charging capabilities in all conditions. And the cable is waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about the weather or pets knocking over the lantern.
2. OTHWAY Solar Fence Post Lights Wall Mount Decorative Deck Lighting
- Very easy to set up
- Sturdy enough to hold over 3 pounds
- Slim design
- Easy to turn on and off
- Made of sturdy plastic material
- They're decent solar powered lights
- You can only mount them on a fence post or wall
- The adhesive is strong, but once it's stuck, it's stuck
- They don't give out a lot of light
OTHWAY is a brand that's very new to the solar powered landscape. However, after testing out their light we're happy to report that the solar powered lights from OTHWAY measure up to the competition.
We think these lights are fairly good at this point, the only thing that's holding them back is the fact that you can't use the mounting method you want. Most solar lights we've seen can have either a wall or a fence post mounting option.
With OTHWAY's you can only choose one. Admittedly, the adhesives used are very strong, so once you mount them you will probably have a hard time removing them.
3. URPOWER Solar Lights
- 2-in-1 design: security/landscape light
- Auto sensing and on/off feature
- Waterproof outdoors
- Built-in solar panel with sufficient charge for up to 10hr of illumination
- 4 LED lights that emit 360 degrees of light
- 6 LED battery status indicator
- 1 year manufacturer warranty
4. LITOM Original Solar Lights Outdoor
- Wireless motion sensor light
- 3 adjustable settings: flash, steady light, and off
- Night light feature, you can set it as a night light that stays on for 12 hours after the sensor lights are switched off
- IP65 dustproof and waterproof, can resist rain, snow, vandalism, and other outdoor environments
- Easy to install, no cables, no wires, no drilling, and no electric, it meets the need for fast install and maintenance
- Lifespan: 3-10 years
- 50,000 hours LED lifespan, no need replace bulbs
- Energy saving, low energy consumption, high brightness, high quality and powerful light, super long service life
- No heat radiation, transmission distance up to 10m, environmental friendly, battery-free & maintenance-free
- Motion sensor auto light up
A little larger than expected. This brings up an important point about all solar lights: make sure you have enough space for the solar panels to charge throughout the day. Otherwise, you'll be getting dark after the sun goes down and the lights shut off.
The Litom lights are compatible with other solar lights, which means you can wrap your entire house in them. We recommend the Litom solar lights for anyone who wants a well-made, trouble-free light set for their home.
5. Maggift 8 Pcs Solar Powered LED Garden Lights
- Contains solar panels on the top of the light
- Comes in 8 different color packaging (green, blue, yellow, red, orange, white, pink, and purple)
- The lights can be placed on the ground or mounted on a wall
- It’s easy to install and requires no wiring
- Waterproof and can withstand all kinds of weather including sun, rain, and snow
- The lights can get blown out by the wind if you put them outside
- Requires charging in direct sunlight
The Maggift solar lights come in a pack of 8, which is the ideal number for lighting up your entire walkway. While most of the solar lights on the market claim to be solar-powered, and hence very efficient, we noticed big differences in the performances of different solar light brands. While some didn’t even turn on when placed in sunlight, some took hours to go on.
The Maggift lights look like lanterns or mini-Eiffel towers, so they add a bit of decoration and architectural value to your home.
6. CLY 60 LED Solar Lights
- Easy to set up
- Waterproofed for all weather applications
- Multiple light modes
- Long battery life
- Affordable price
- No battery replacement
- Sticky silicone cases
Driveway, Park, Yard, Car, Pathway.
These LED lights are one of the best solar lights you can get if you want a floodlight. The lights can illuminate large spaces and cover a great radius. It also produces very little noise and light spillage.
The lights are easy to install and come with a series of screws that are designed to be screwed directly into your wall.
7. Solar Lights Outdoor
- Available in different styles
- Provides a good amount of light
- Waterproof construction
- Comes with a solar panel and a rechargeable battery
- Powered by solar energy
- May not work well in cloudy weather
- The magnets weren’t that strong so they did come off a couple times
- Not suitable for locations that receive a lot of snow.
Here’s the lowdown: Solar powered garden lights are a fantastic way to light up your home and garden. They’re environmentally friendly, cost-effective and can provide your home with a beautiful glow and ambience. The Solar Lights Outdoor, Stainless Steel Waterproof Outdoor Lights – 12Pack, LED Landscape Lighting Outdoor Solar Lights Solar Powered Lights Solar Garden Lights for Pathway Walkway Driveway Yard & Lawns Stake are able to do just that and more.
Coming in a pack of 12, they’re a super-affordable way to brighten up your home and walkways.
They’re made from a sturdy and durable stainless steel material so that they can withstand the elements. You can place them in many different locations around your home, and it would give off a fantastic glow in the evening.
8. Outdoor Solar Garden Stake Lights
- Omnidirectional solar panels
- Ability to adjust the direction of the solar panel
- Sturdy and durable
- Versatile and can be used for indoor or outdoor use
- Non-replaceable batteries
- Materials could be better
- Will have to do a little bit of tinkering to get the solar lights working
The Should you get outdoor solar lights – Yes, you should! When you go for Outdoors, you get some bright and much needed light to your home.
It is always a must have for outdoor use, like for your backyards, garage areas, gardens, car parks, decks and also parks.
These are 6v 2V/3W Solar Garden Lily Flower Lamp Stakes Lights that come with the battery packs for the night illumination needs. They come in a convenient pack of 4 and are ready to go as soon as you unpack them and put the stakes into the ground.
9. Moonrays 91381 Payton Solar LED Plastic Path Light
- Grey plastic design looks great
- Ideal for pathways, driveways, sidewalks, and patios
- 360 degree light coverage
- Weather-resistant materials
- Easy to put together and configure
- Weak light
- Out of stock on Amazon
The Moonrays 91381 Payton Solar LED Plastic Path Lights come in a pack of eight and occupy an area of around 163 square inches. These lights have a contemporary grey plastic design and are suitable for use in both residential and commercial settings.
These lights emit a cold white light which is ideal for decorative purposes and provide an effective solar powered solution for lighting pathways and other areas in your home. These lights have a 120 degree light distribution system and emit 2.4-lumens of illumination.
The light has a rated operating time of 8 hours, after which it automatically switches itself to a 4-hour storage mode to preserve battery. These lights can be easily installed by sticking them on the ground or on any flat surface using silicone matting, and they are waterproof to a certain extent to prevent water damage in rain.
10. Solar Glass Brick Light,Ice Cube Lights,LED Landscape Light Buried Light Square Cube,Frosted Glass Light
- Long lasting
- Easy to install and maintain
- Come in a range of bright colors
- Can’t be used to light up your pathway after dark
- Some issues with the low quality LED lights
- The charge can’t last long
Boring nights are over; paradise is here!
These glass colored bricks are ideal for decorating your backyard, pathway, driveway, pool, garden, and patio.
These solar lights are easy to install and are powered by solar energy – so no need to fuss about electric cords. Just place these bricks in direct sunlight, and they will continue to illuminate your sidewalk or driveway even after dark … they look like real bricks from a distance.
11. Solar Post Cap Lights Outdoor
- Bright light 12 LEDs
- Long lifespan of 30,000 hours
- Free-standing design
- Available in various colors
- Not weatherproof
- Can't be mounted on the ground
- At 44 cents per unit it can get quite expensive to outfit your entire home with these lights 😉
12. Solar Brick Landscape Path Light
- Fits over 80% of the existing bricks
- No wiring or electric plugs
- High quality construction
- Highly visible, even at night
- Easy to install
- Comes packaged with installation instructions
- Runs on a rechargeable battery
- Takes up to 4 hours to recharge in full sunlight
- A bit expensive
- The light may not work during storms if outdoor power is lost
It seems like these are the kind of lights you would see in the streets of Beverly Hills, and you would think they were the most magical thing ever. However, these aren’t lights used for aesthetics – they are meant for your safety and for the safety of others.
Solar Brick Landscape Path Light, 8×4 Recessed Polyresin Paver, 12 Cool White LEDs, Waterproof, Outdoor Use, No Wires or Plugs is a well built light. It’s an 8×4 size that is built into a 6-in long brick. It’s large enough to be instantly noticeable. Plus, it’s 100% waterproof. It’ll also come with a rechargeable battery so you don’t need to worry about purchasing any additional accessories to put it together.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long do solar lights last at night?
The initial brightness of your solar lights will depend on a few factors, including the size of the solar panel and the battery capacity. Most solar lights can last around 10-12 hours on a full charge, but other factors also influence the brightness. When weather conditions are inclement (windy, rainy, or snowy), light output can decrease. The use of flash mode can also accelerate discharge.
Can you make solar lights brighter?
Most solar-powered lights are bright enough to light up your patio, driveway, entrance, or walkway. But some require more light to work well, especially in darker climates like Alaska or Scotland.
Solar lights have rather low wattage, with the most popular models running on a 3 watt bulb. Choose 7-9 watts for full illumination in moderately dark areas. For those who want to illuminate their homes with a higher intensity lamp, then more powerful solar lights are available. However, keep in mind that more powerful solar lights will drain your battery faster and require more light to recharge.
Thanks to the advancements in technology, you can get away with adding only a few simple solar lights to bring the brightness you desire without having to buy more and more lamps. You can also use them to point out problem areas in your landscape, illuminate certain areas, and entertain your pets.
Should you turn solar lights off at night?
Solar lights are extremely energy efficient, but they create a little bit of heat. When you are not using them, you can turn them off at night. That way, your lights will be ready for use first thing in the morning.
What is the best solar lights for outdoors?
If you like the idea of having plenty of lights on your patio or deck but you have concerns about safety hazards, then investing in a waterproof solar light would be a great idea. These lights are outdoor-specific lights that use solar panels to gather and store energy to illuminate the night. They are great for outdoor decks, porches, and pathways.
Quick Navigation Introduction Buying Guide 7 Tips for Use Feature Summary: 10 Best Outdoor Lights 2018 Our 10 Favorite Picks – Complete List Conclusion Product Reviews – 9 of 9 – Philip Stein 14k Yellow Gold Mens Classic Watch (Including Tidal Wave Planet Waves Wristband) Product Description: "A Classic Watch that Makes a Statement. Philip Stein Introduces a Classic Style Watch with a Modern Twist. Time has always been a manifestation of…
|Brightech Ambience Pro||Best Overall|
|LITOM Original Solar Lights Outdoor||Budget Pick|
|Solar Brick Landscape Path Light||Upgrade Pick|